Friday 8 May 2009

Final of the trilogy!


Today I finally had my final piece of the 'faceless women trilogy' framed. The piece is called 'Harvest' (above). It's about the Miao Women (or the Hmong Women, apparently, Miao is a term not favoured by the Miao people. They prefer to be called the Hmong, according to wikipedia. So I'm going to officially refer to them as 'the Hmong people' from now on. But you know, I just love the sound of 'Miao'. I think it sounds otherworldly. I love it. So I'm going to call them 'the Hmong people', but my reference image file on my laptop is still named 'Miao'. It's not publicly displayed so I think I'd just get away with it keeping it to myself!) harvesting rice together.
The women don't have eyes because I didn't want to give them individuality or character unique to themselves. Each woman is one part of the whole, but also the whole represents each woman.
It's very difficult to explain. But it's like, the women are the ohmu and the whole image is the sea of corruption! which  I know to most people of the world including my tutors haven't got a clue what I'm going on about but those of you who are familiar with Hayao Miyazaki of the studio Ghibli's masterpiece, 'NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind'  (not the film, the comic books!), my gibberish all makes sense!  So, I'd recommend anyone who comes across my life to read Nausicca. Available at Dave's comics on Sydney Street if you happen to live in Brighton. If not, amazon is always only one click away.
Anyway, I'm very satisfied with how the work looks with the frame and everything! 
 

No comments: